Ah, meatballs. Simple, satisfying, so comforting. I recently discovered a new food blogger (and an amazing one, at that), E. Lee of Bacon Concentrate. She's funny, clever, a great photographer, and obviously, a great cook. One of her recent recipes that inspired me is her Lamb Meatball recipe. Indeed they are verrrry tasty!
As I type this, my kitchen/dining room/living room (ok basically the whole condo) smells like glorious meatballness. I am hungry. So very hungry. But I must make it to the gym before I devour them. Must... resist... meatballs...
So, these lovely morsels of meat started with some finely chopped onion and green bell pepper. I definitely did not chop these fine enough... I think they were a bit too big.
I combined the lamb, beef, onion, bell pepper, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, and S&P into a large bowl.
Then I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup as a guide to make the meatballs uniform in size. I ended up with 21 meatballs.
Hello, little meatballs!
I browned them in a large pan...
And as they finished browning, I transferred them to another pot that had about 2 cups of the tomato sauce, plus the chopped garlic.
As an aside... I did not use pasta sauce for this. Rather, I got two large cans of crushed tomatoes, and added a bit of S&P and sugar to each, to make my own tomato sauce!
Back to the meatballs... after they all browned, and were all transferred to the other pot, I added the rest of the tomato sauce, and gently stirred. To get the bits off the bottom of the pan that the meatballs browned in, I added a bit of tomato sauce and basically deglazed it, then added that to the other pot. I let the meatballs simmer on low-ish heat for maybe 30 minutes or so. Note to self: Use a bigger pot next time. I almost burned down the kitchen! You can see how the sauce is almost overflowing!
As I said before, your kitchen will smell so luxuriously good. Try not to do this right before going to the gym. It can be disastrous!!! These meatballs are juicy, and bursting with flavor. I cannot wait to eat them as leftovers!
Bacon Concentrate's Lovely Luscious Lamb Meatballs
from Bacon Concentrate
Ingredients:
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 lb ground beef
1/3 cup grated parmagiano reggiano
1/3 cup grated pecorino romano
S&P
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat)
1/8 tsp nutmeg (I grated mine fresh)
1 heaping cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
6 cups your favorite pasta sauce (or like I did with crushed tomatoes)
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
olive oil
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except pasta sauce, garlic, oil).
2. Form into meatballs. As a guide, you can use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ensure uniformity, or use a small ice cream scoop.
3. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, and brown the meatballs on at least two sides (I always find it difficult to brown an entire spherical object).
4. Use caution when turning the meatballs; make sure they are not sticking! You want them to stay as cohesive as possible.
5. In a separate large pot/pan (make sure you have a lid), add 2 cups of the pasta/tomato sauce. Add the garlic.
6. Transfer the meatballs to the sauce as they brown, using a slotted spoon to drain the excess grease.
7. When all the meatballs are done browning, drain most of the grease (this is important! I neglected to do this, and nearly killed myself with grease splatter).
8. Add 1 cup of the pasta/tomato sauce to the pan to deglaze the bottom of the pan of its brown bits. Add this to the pan/pot with the meatballs.
9. Cover the meatballs with the remainder of the pasta/tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Remove the lid, and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. And get ready for your kitchen to be covered in tomato sauce splatter.
11. Serve with pasta, or crusty bread, or polenta, or solo! ENJOY!

Meatballs!!!! I bet they were awesome after your workout. Lamb to top it off too mmm!
ReplyDeleteAs for the chicken, I'm sure you can broil it for a healthier alternative and substitute for chicken breasts!
yummmmm!!! but you know what's missing? CHEESE of course! I would stuff them with some cheddar or mozzarella cheese, and then sprinkle Parm over the whole thing!
ReplyDeleteSooo happy you love these! I love the pic of them all sitting there, waiting to be browned. :) Your photos are really beautiful! I splatter alot when I simmer these, too.:( Some recipes say to remove your cooked meatballs, simmer the sauce to thicken, and then add the meatballs again, but that's alot of dishes!
ReplyDeleteThese look so tasty. I really should make meatballs more often. The kids love them!
ReplyDeleteOhh my gosh those look delicous and you are an amazing photographer too!
ReplyDeletedood, that looks sooo good. imma try them. i love ur site chris!! LOVESIT!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh My Goodness, absolutely delicious. I love them and the sauce looks fantastic too!
ReplyDeleteI love meatballs.... This looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteGreat looking meatballs. Bet they were good with the lamb and beef mixture.
ReplyDeleteSam
when do you have time to cook?!
ReplyDeleteHave never tried lamb meatballs before. Unlike most of my unadventurous buddies, I love its flavor. Thanks for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteI too have never tried lamb meatballs, and would love to try them with the addition of bell peppers. What an interesting and delicious sounding addition! Looks so good. Keep up the good cooking!
ReplyDeleteWow, those do look amazing!! I love making pasta and meatballs. I think you are right about just making your own sauce, its so easy and so much cheaper than bottled!
ReplyDeletethis looks so good. i made turkey meatballs myself over the weekend for the hubby... i added raisins to them, and he thought it was just OK. i'll have to try this recipe--i think he'll like it a lot more :)
ReplyDeletei agree: homemade tomato sauce is MUCH better than store bought. i blogged about my own a few months ago!
that close-up shot of the slit-open meatball looks so yummy.
ReplyDeleteyour mixing bowl photo looks really good. we have two veggie meatball posts coming soon but i'll have to link back to this. bobby doesn't eat beef but he loves lamb....
ReplyDeleteMMM Meatballs is right! I'm getting hungry just looking at these. I think I can smell them browning as well. Nice work!
ReplyDeleteMmm those look great! One of the best things about meatballs are the leftovers. I love putting them in sandwiches.
ReplyDeletehummm, these look so yummy, moist and tangy :))
ReplyDelete