Who doesn't love mac & cheese? But, wouldn't it be great to enjoy mac & cheese without all the guilt that comes with the cheese, heavy cream, and carbs? Ah, yes, my friends, there is a way. We can indeed enjoy mac & cheese, with far less guilt, thanks to Ellie Krieger, the nutritionist on The Food Network! She has a fantastic recipe for mac & cheese with butternut squash, I had to try it (with a few of my own modifications).
I am a big big fan of butternut squash. I love the bright color, the flavor, and most of all, its high fiber content (yes, I am slightly obsessed with fiber). I peeled and chopped a butternut squash, and boiled them until they could be easily pierced with a knife and mushable. I drained the squash, and mashed it all up.
I used sharp cheddar cheese, and fontina cheese, which I grated by hand (gosh that is painful!). I put the cheese in the freezer for maybe 30 min or so beforehand, just to make it easier to grate.
I went for the traditional route of making mac & cheese and started with a roux -- I used SmartBalance buttery spread (with omega-3s!), and an equivalent amount of flour. After cooking the roux for a bit, I added some 1% milk, and whisked it around until the roux was dissolving. Then, I added the cheese and butternut squash, and whisked that around to make sure the cheese melted evenly, and the squash was incorporated. The squash adds such great color to this dish, a vibrant yellow-orange, very reminiscent of the old Kraft mac & cheese, or Velveeta mac & cheese that is artifically yellow. I also added lots of S&P, and some freshly grated nutmeg.
Then I just poured the sauce over some cooked macaroni (I used the kind that has extra fiber and calcium, but doesn't get as chewy and tough as whole wheat pasta). I poured this into a 9x13 baking dish that I sprayed with cooking spray.
I topped this with a mixture of panko bread crumbs, grated parmaggiano reggiano, and olive oil. Then into the oven it went, 350 degrees, for about 30 minutes. Then I turned the broiler on and let the top brown for a few minutes.
Oh it was so tasty! It isn't as cheesy as regular mac & cheese, but still very tasty. It's a fantastic way to make mac & cheese healthier, and especially if you want to hide some nutritious vegetables for the kids. Don't tell them, they won't have a clue!!
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Ingredients:
1 butternut squash, about 1-2 lbs, peeled and chopped into 1" cubes (or frozen squash, to save time and effort!)
1 Tbsp butter/SmartBalance
1 Tbsp flour
2 cups 1% milk
1 to 1.25 cups shredded sharp cheddar
0.5 to 0.75 cups shredded fontina cheese
(feel free to add any cheeses you want... even ricotta, or a pepper jack for some spice!)
S&P
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 lb of macaroni (or other pasta... I used one box of Ronzoni Smart Taste)
2 Tbsp panko bread crumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmaggiano Reggiano cheese
1 tsp olive oil
Directions:
1. Boil the butternut squash pieces until they are cooked thoroughly, easily pierced with a knife, and ready to be mashed.
2. Drain the squash, transfer to a large bowl, and mash away! Try to get out all the lumps if possible. You could also use a food processor, or a food mill, if you are lucky enough to have one (I'm jealous!).
3. Cook the macaroni to al dente. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
4. In a large pot, melt the butter/SmartBalance, then add the flour. Mix this around into a clump, and cook for a minute or so to get the bitter flour taste out.
5. Add the milk, whisk around to dissolve the roux.
6. Add the cheeses, and the mashed squash, and whisk and stir to incorporate all.
7. Season with S&P, and add the nutmeg.
8. Pour this cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni, and stir stir stir it all together.
9. Spray a 9x13 baking dish, and pour the macaroni into the dish.
10. Combine the bread crumbs, parm-reg cheese, and olive oil, and sprinkle this over the macaroni.
11. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
12. Turn on the broiler for a few minutes to make sure the top is browned.
13. Serve, eat, enjoy, be happy and healthy!

I have been wanting to try this one! There is a similar recipe in the Everyday Food cookbook that uses frozen squash puree and parmesan, I've made that before and it's quite good.
ReplyDeleteThis looks so SOOOO good!!!!
ReplyDeletegirl, it's like you made this with ME in mind! you know I LOOOOOVE squash and cheese and carbs! so send a big pan of that over! yum!
ReplyDeletethis looks so good. i love squash!
ReplyDeleteThis looks great! I never thought about putting butternaut squash in mac and cheese!
ReplyDeleteYou mean to tell me that the weird, chemically orange hue in Kraft's "cheese" is not natural?!? =)
This sounds so interesting! Definitely going on my to try list after finals are over!
ReplyDeleteOhh my gosh I love this, I love mac and cheese and newly found that I adore Butternut Squash, I gotta try this!
ReplyDeleteI have heard about squash in mac and cheese before, but I think your addition of Smart Balance (with Omega 3s), is the cutest addition in this entire meal. I love this healthy recipe, and will be trying it someday soon!
ReplyDeleteum, this mac 'n' cheese looks fanTAStic! this is definitely going on my to-make list--YUM!
ReplyDeleteand i hear you on being obsessed with fiber...i honestly think i have a higher fiber intake per day than anyone in this world, hee hee :) that's what ibs will do to you...
oh yum! love squash & love mac & cheese!
ReplyDeleteEllie's always got a secret that make her recipes a little bit healthier, but they still taste great.
ReplyDeleteThat mac & cheese looks so good! I really like the addition of the sweet butternut squash!
ReplyDeleteooh, i love love this!
ReplyDelete