As I read other food blogs, I realize there are some AMAZING food bloggers out there. Particularly, some bloggers have amazing and creative recipes, some bloggers are very talented writers, and some bloggers are truly talented photographers.
I always wonder, "How do they get their photos so vibrant, so focused, so beautiful?" Allen at EatingOutLoud recently posted a great recipe, and at the end of the post, showed a rare behind-the-scenes look at his photography "studio." He also has a link to his favorite photography items in his store. What insight he has provided for a novice photographer like me!
Here's what is on my photography wishlist:
1. Lowell E1-92 Ego Two Light Set (I realize one of my biggest problems is LIGHTING)

2. Accessory Power Series Tripod with 3-way Panhead

3. Nikon SB-400 AF Speedlight Flash

And while we're on the topic of wishlists, here is what's on my wishlist for new kitchen items/gadgets/tools:
1. Cast-iron pan for searing, even baking things like cornbread

2. Le Creuset Oval French Oven, for braising things in the oven

3. All-Clad Stainless Steel Slow Cooker, for those long busy days with little time to cook

4. Food processor, for endless options!!!

5. KitchenAid Stand Mixer, for baking, even making dough for bread or pizza!

6. Cuisinart Immersion Hand Blender, for easily blending soups to a smooth consistency

7. Silpat Baking Mats, for multiple uses!

8. Electric thermometer, so I can cook meat in the oven at just the right done-ness!

BUT, there is one thing that was on my wishlist, which D surprised me with the other day:
SHAM WOW!!!!!!!!!Ok, so in all honesty, they do NOT work the way the commercial makes it seem. But that darn infomercial host, Vince, is so convincing (haha, get it?). Anyway, I am using them to dry the counters in the kitchen, and even put clean, wet dishes on instead of a dish towel. So far, I am pleased, even if they don't work as advertised.
(all photos from amazon.com)

If only money wasn't an issue, right :)? I want pretty much all of those things on your list!
ReplyDeleteWe share many of the same wish items. I also want a mandoline (sp). I hear they are awesome for thin-sliced veggies, like potatoes for au gratin. I, too, want an immersion blender and a cast iron Dutch Oven!!! I hope you get everything your culinary heart wants.
ReplyDeleteI want an easy bake oven. Pronto.
ReplyDeletemy sister (gracemejin) is nuts!
ReplyDeleteI actually have a Shamwow and they really don't work like they're supposed to. I was quite disappointed also haha
ReplyDeleteDon't you want a Snuggie too? That infomercial gets me every time.
ReplyDeleteNice list. On the photo front, I'd suggest spending less money on lighting and putting it towards photo processing software like Lightroom. I use a $10 ikea lamp with a rice paper shade with a $15 Satco 40 W fluorescent "daylight" bulb along with a $2 piece of white posterboard. Total lighting setup $27. I wrote an post on Adobe Lightroom a while back if you want to see what it can do.
ReplyDeleteI hate to add onto the pressure that your Asian parents already give to you, but I got all of the cooking items on your list as presents from our wedding registry! Well, the slow cooker was something my mom got me on my own, and my husband actually bought a stand-mixer on eBay 2 yrs into our relationship. So, getting married is a way to get those things!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI just bought a box of Shamwows yesterday, I cant wait to wash and dry my car!
ReplyDeleteI only have items #1 and #5 and would looove to purchase all of the items on your list!
ReplyDeleteI'm learning how to take better photos myself! I agree with you that so many bloggers are super talented! If I showed you my make shift "photo studio" in my kitchen, you would probably laugh :) Keep doing what you do, Christina!