Sunday, May 24, 2009

Maine Lobstaaaahs


One of the greatest things about living in Boston is that really great FRESH seafood is always close by. On this lovely Memorial Day weekend, we took the hour-ish drive up to Kittery, Maine, to a little hidden family-owned place called Morrison's Lobster.

.
This is classic New England charm -- a wood structure on the water, wood deck with just a few tables, and as you can maybe see in the picture below, a tiny "kitchen" which consists of three large pots of boiling water and a large water tank with FRESHLY caught lobsters.


It started out to be a cloudy day with some raindrops, but still the scenery was nice. Here are some lobster boats and traps:


An ugly bridge, more classic New England buildings...


A boy (part of the Morrison family?) who romped around barefoot in a wetsuit, and periodically jumped off the dock and into the water...



Here's the wooden deck on which we enjoyed our lobsters...


Speaking of lobsters, here is Morrison's minimal menu... it's basic and simple. Lobster, steamers, lobster roll, chowder/bisque, and the rest is up to you! BYO everything else (beer, side dishes).


I got the half-half clam chowder/lobster bisque. It may seem strange to combine the two, but they were DELICIOUS!! Creamy, salty, seafoody... I wish I took a picture but I ate it too fast! I also got a 1-1/4 pound boiled lobster. Morrison's keeps things simple here -- a boiled lobster served in a paper dish, with a little cup of drawn butter. Really, what could be better?


And here's the "after" shot... poor lobster didn't have a chance.


The Morrison family has two adorable dogs just hanging out... I tried to get a picture with one, but that didn't work out too well...


They painted her toenails!!


I really want one of these!!


And here's the other one... I think this one is older.


Anyway, I love love love fresh lobster, in all its cholesterol-filled-butter-dipping glory. Morrison's is truly a hidden gem -- off the beaten path, family-run, no nonsense, low-key. Even though every winter I ask myself, "Why am I living in New England?," and I am reminded when summer comes around that New England has so much charm and a whole lot to offer. Let me know if you're ever in the area!

28 comments:

  1. looks like fun. I haven't been up to maine in a while

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so fun! I wish I can do something like that here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wantes to visit Maine, living in New York I dont know why we just dont go, but I would definately visit that place. I love old, family businesses like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh lobster, sunshine, and chubby glammed up dogs--what more could a girl ask for?! (Besides a handbag from "Donna's" to take some lobster home?) Lobster definitely makes those damned Northern winters worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Maine, but have always wanted to go. The lobster looks amazing, you're lucky to be so close by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that you? you're gorgeous!!!
    I have a friend who went to college in maine...and he NEVER once had lobster there! is he cRAZY or what!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may be in the area in June, will totally have to take that hourish drive up to this place. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a really fun place to eat! I've never been to New England at all but I sure would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina, when I was looking at the menu, I thougth the half and half soups sound like a strange but could be great combo!

    Love the pictures, thanks for sharing such a cute spot to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to take a road trip to New England to try the famous sea food, hasn't happened yet :(
    You meal looks delicious, so fresh! The stuff we get in non-coastal Canada is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New England here I come....in the heat of the summertime, darn it. I'm coming to see my new grandbabies. I think a trip to Boston in on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CHRISTINA!!! you HAVE to join our warm fuzzies game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love lobsters but no chance of getting good ones here in the mountains. Lucky you to live in New England. You're making me hungry.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi! I have information on a relatively unknown restaurant in Boston that I'm interested in having you review. If you're interested please email me at rosa@5spr.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Used to vacation in Maine in my NYC days. That restaurant is pure, wonderful, simple Maine. Lobster! And I adore it and I am lucky to find a tail once a year. Oh my, fresh lobster - I don't even use the butter. Am a wee bit jealous and a huge bit happy for you - because that is as good as it gets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love lobster. Those ones look delicous.

    But it does looks cold over there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lobster but what we have in the Pacific Northwest is just not the same as that from Maine. I love your blog. I'll be back often.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great day. That lobster looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The perfect summer dish! Love Maine Lobster always fresh!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

    And if you can visit me I can visit you:)

    Welcome~~
    foodcreate.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Christina! I am a New Englander in disguise, I went to college in NH and lived in NH/VT for about 7 years. How I miss being able to stop by the local fishmonger and pick up fresh, CHEAP lobster for dinner feasts! Looks like your trip was a blast. Sadly, I have never been to Maine, even though Kittery is so close to where I was living. But Boston totally ROCKS! Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos! :) K

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, BTW, we have a trash-eatin' nincompoop lying around here, he's half golden pyrenees and half golden lab-- want him? Since his latest trash spree I have been having to cook rice gruel for him but he's practically as good as new now. He answers to the name "huckleberry' and I can give you a good deal on him! Oh, rats, I forgot-- he's my DC's dog, not mine. So close..... :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love lobsters...since we are going to Boston in 10 days...I will definitely have lobsters...yummie! The pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maine sounds wonderful. We were just in Vermont last weekend - Boston is next!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't spent too much time in New England and now i fully understand what I've been missing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow I love Lobster, I am sooo jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Who doesn't love lobster? Some of the best lobster I've ever had was on a visit to Boston. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Would love to have a lobster roll right around now. Kind of sucks to be in the midwest all of a sudden :(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I might have to take the several hourish drive up from NYC - the place has that rustic charm that makes eating a simple lobster so luxurious

    ReplyDelete